Who can file a wrongful death action in West Virginia?

Miley Legal Group

A wrongful death claim in West Virginia must be filed by the administrator or executor of the deceased person’s estate. This person may also be known as the personal representative.

The West Virginia wrongful death claim can be set in motion by the victim’s family. If your loved one has died because of the wrongdoing or carelessness of another, you can seek the advice of a Clarksburg wrongful death attorney who can help you get started in your efforts to file a West Virginia wrongful death claim.

Overview of a Wrongful Death Claim in West Virginia

In a wrongful death claim, a representative for the deceased will file for damages which are in turn dispersed to family members.

Some of the individuals that may be eligible for compensation in a wrongful death claim in West Virginia include:

  • surviving spouse;
  • children;
  • grandchildren;
  • parents;
  • brothers;
  • sisters; and
  • any other relatives who are dependent on the deceased.

Since determining who can be awarded damages can be tricky, it is important to have a Clarksburg wrongful death attorney guide you to make sure that you make these determinations in a timely manner.

Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim in West Virginia

Some of the damages that family members may recover in a wrongful death in West Virginia include:

  • medical expenses (accrued from time of injury to the time of death);
  • funeral expenses;
  • loss of earnings; and
  • loss of services and support.

A Clarksburg wrongful death attorney can help you to build a case that clearly outlines the damages for which you and your family are eligible and can also help you to file your claim within West Virginia’s statute of limitations.

Contacting a Clarksburg Wrongful Death Attorney

The Miley Legal Group will work with you to fight for the compensation you deserve for your family member’s wrongful death in order to help you to move on with your life. Contact us today to schedule a no-cost consultation – 304-326-1800.