Can I sue a driver who has their learner’s permit if they hit my car in Flatwoods, West Virginia?

Miley Legal Group

If you are in a car accident with a driver who only has their learner’s permit or intermediate license, you may still file a claim. Although they lack a full state license, the driver is still subject to the auto insurance coverage requirements of West Virginia. This means you may be able to file an insurance claim to recoup any costs for damages or injuries that you have incurred. Contact a Flatwoods personal injury attorney today if you have been involved in a car accident with an unlicensed driver or one with a learner’s permit.

In West Virginia, teens are subject to the Graduated Driver Licensing Program. At the age of 15, they are eligible for a Level 1 Instruction Permit, and at 16 they can get a Level 2 license. At 17, a driver is eligible for an official Level 3 West Virginia driver’s license.

Whether a driver has an instruction permit, a Level 2 license, or a Level 3 license, they are held to the auto insurance requirements of West Virginia when driving. Any vehicle registered in the state must carry a minimum amount of insurance coverage that includes:

  • $20,000 toward bodily injury (per person);
  • $40,000 toward bodily injury (per accident); and
  • $10,000 toward property damage of others.

If you were injured in the car accident, the driver’s bodily injury coverage could go toward any medical costs or bills, and the property damage coverage could help pay for any repairs needed on your vehicle. Every wreck is different, however, so it’s important to consult an experienced Flatwoods personal injury attorney before filing any claims.

If you were involved or injured in a car accident with an unlicensed driver or one with a learner’s permit, a Flatwoods personal injury attorney at Miley Legal can help. Call 304-931-4088 or 877-652-1031 today.