Can I file a West Virginia medical malpractice claim for wrong-site surgery?
Miley Legal Group
Yes, you can file a medical malpractice claim if you are the victim of wrong-site surgery. A Clarksburg medical malpractice attorney can go over your case, determine issues of negligence and explain your legal options.
When a surgeon operates on the wrong site, the error can be attributed to any of the following:
- poor pre-surgical planning;
- tight schedules;
- miscommunication or lack of communication;
- multiple surgeons involved in the surgery;
- multiple procedures on one patient;
- intoxicated medical professionals; and/or
- failure to follow standard procedures.
In an effort to prevent wrong-site surgery, hospitals follow a universal protocol that includes:
- Pre-procedure verification – the medical team verifies that the proper procedure is performed on the right patient at the right site.
- Marking the site – one member of the medical team marks the correct surgery site and that team member will be present for the surgery.
- Time out – a time-out is taken before an incision is made and the steps taken in the pre-procedure verification are taken again.
Wrong-site surgery can be draining for a patient, physically, financially and emotionally. It can be especially devastating when the result is the loss of a limb or the loss of a loved one.
Patients who survive wrong-site surgery may have to face additional surgeries to correct the error and may endure an extended recuperation time.
Your Clarksburg medical malpractice attorney will conduct an investigation to determine which parties contributed to your wrong-site surgery and should be held accountable. Liable parties could include the hospital, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and surgical technicians.
You might be able to pursue compensation for pain and suffering, current and future medical expenses and lost wages.
Contacting a Clarksburg Medical Malpractice Attorney
Wrong-site surgery can leave you with hefty medical bills and additional time missed from work. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured after undergoing surgery, call the Clarksburg medical malpractice attorneys at The Miley Legal Group for a FREE consultation – 304-326-1800.