Clarksburg Seat Belt Accident Lawyer
Seat belts protect people’s lives in the event of a car accident, but they can also cause painful and long-term injuries. If you’ve suffered a seat belt shoulder injury, consult a Clarksburg seat belt accident lawyer you can work with an experienced attorney and seek compensation by filing a Clarksburg personal injury claim.
Understanding Seat Belt Injuries
Shoulder injuries are quite common after car accidents, partly because of seat belts. While these injuries may be painful, they are still preferable to the injuries that could be sustained in an accident without wearing a seat belt.
Seat belt shoulder injuries are generally attributed to:
- the seat belt shoulder straps;
- the impact and jerking movements of the accident;
- whiplash; or
- improper seat belt usage.
Still, if your injuries were caused by someone’s negligence in an accident in West Virginia, a personal injury claim should be one of the first items on your to-do list once you begin pursing restitution.
Types of Seat Belt Shoulder Injuries
The pressure on the shoulder that’s covered by the seat belt can lead to several categories of shoulder injuries:
- AC Joint Injuries – when the ligaments around the shoulder AC joint are damaged, the bones can separate and cause a host of complications, such as pain, swelling, and loss of range of motion.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome – when the blood vessels around the shoulder area have been compressed in a car accident, a number of syndromes, classified under “thoracic outlet syndrome,” can develop, which cause pain in the neck, shoulder, and arm area.
- Impingement Syndrome – tendons around the shoulder can become irritated and inflamed after an auto accident, which can thicken the tendon, cause pain and movement problems, and lead to various other frustrating impingement syndrome symptoms.
Dealing with a Shoulder Injury after an Accident in Clarksburg
Shoulder injuries can sometimes be difficult to correctly diagnose. When the shoulder area has been bruised, or there has been a dramatic rip or tear, diagnosis is generally quicker than when only inflammation and irritation are involved.
Attending doctors will likely order x-rays and/or MRIs to examine the area when a shoulder injury is suspected. They will then lay out a plan to care for the injury, help with pain management, and work to prevent further complications.
If your injuries were the result of a negligent driver, you’ll want to call a personal injury lawyer. For Clarksburg and surrounding areas, a lawyer will be able to help you file a claim and recover compensation for your injuries and other damages you’ve sustained.