WV Fatal Motorcycle Accident Statistics Clarksburg Riders
Miley Legal Group
The West Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles has published a report on its site that provides a quick glimpse in the incidence and trends of motorcycle accidents in the state over a five-year span. The statistics in Analysis of Fatal Crash Data, West Virginia: 2006-2010 show that while motorcycle accident fatalities in the region may have declined, the rate was still above the national rate. Learn more fatal motorcycle accident statistics in the state.
Fatal Motorcycle Crashes in West Virginia
The motorcycle accident population-based fatality rate in West Virginia was 2.06 fatalities per 100,000 population, which is higher than the national average (1.60 per 100,000 population).
Below are a few of the other highlights of the report.
- In fatal motorcycle crashes in the state, 21.6 percent of riders were not wearing helmets, as mandated by state law. This is much lower than the nation’s average; 41.2 percent of fatally injured riders across the country were not wearing a helmet when their accidents occurred.
- From 2006 to 2010, motorcycle accident fatalities in West Virginia dropped by nearly 16 percent. Nationwide, they only dropped by 9.0 percent.
- In the state, 10.5 percent of all the traffic accident fatalities are motorcycle riders, as compared the 13.7 percent across the U.S.
- Among motorcycle riders who were killed in West Virginia, 31.9 percent had a blood alcohol content level of 0.01 or higher. This is notably better than the national average of 38 percent.
- Speed was a primary factor in 23.9 percent of fatal motorcycle crashes in the state, compared to the national average of 39.4 percent.
- The most common driver factors that contributed to motorcycle crashes in the state were failing to stay in their lane and speeding.
Motorcycle Accident Wrongful Death Attorney in Clarksburg
If your loved one recently suffered fatal injuries in a motorcycle accident, you may wish to speak to an attorney about filing a wrongful death claim. For a free consult with a lawyer in Clarksburg, contact The Miley Legal Group today at 304-931-4088.