Negligent Driver Accident Tips | Lewis County Personal Injury Lawyer

Miley Legal Group

They say that anger clouds judgment. If you’ve ever come in contact with an aggressive driver, you know that nothing rings more true on the road. Road rage and aggressive driving is a serious threat to anyone traveling on U.S. roads. In fact, according to the AAA Foundation for Safety, aggressive driving kills or injures an average of 1,500 people or more every year in our country.

Luckily, many states in the U.S. have statutes for aggressive driving, with some even considering it a traffic violation. Unfortunately, West Virginia is not one of them. There are, however, ways you can ensure the safety of you and your passengers when sharing the roads with an aggressive driver.

If you were injured in an accident caused by an aggressive and negligent driver, you should consider filing a claim. Contact a Lewis County personal injury lawyer today to learn more

Tips to Stay Safe against Negligent Drivers from a Lewis County Personal Injury Lawyer

Tip #1: Be Calm, Cautious and Courteous 

You should stay calm. Don’t get worked up or upset, and don’t break traffic laws to avoid the driver. Do try to steer clear of them by changing lanes or slowing down. If they want to get in front of you, let them. Most likely, they’re going to do it anyway regardless of whether you give them room, so save yourself the hassle and be a courteous driver despite their bad attitude.

Tip #2: Don’t Challenge Them 

Aggressive and negligent drivers derive a sense of power from being behind the wheel, so they’re literally looking for a challenge. Don’t give them one. Don’t slow down or stop in front of them, don’t refuse to let them over and, most importantly, don’t speed up next to them. They’ll see this as a threat and will likely jump at the chance to outwit you or out-speed you. This could be dangerous to both of you.

For more tips on staying safe, continue on to the next page. If you feel your accident or injuries were caused by a negligent driver, contact a personal injury lawyer for help.