Clients Wonder: What Types of Compensation Can I Receive For My Injuries?

Miley Legal Group

Serious personal injuries result not only in devastating emotional harm, but also crippling financial losses.  A successful personal injury claim can enable a victim to recover both monetary and non-monetary damages.

Some common examples of monetary damages (which are also known as special damages) include:

  • Lost wages, including wages lost while recovering from an injury or loss of future earning ability.
  • Medical expenses, which can include both past and future medical care and rehabilitation costs.
  • Costs associated with living with disability, such as the cost to make a home wheelchair-accessible.
  • Costs of property damages, such as the value of your automobile.  West Virginia law also covers damages for the aggravation and inconvenience that results from having your car damaged or destroyed.
  • Funeral expenses.

Examples of non-monetary damages (also known as general damages) include:

  • Pain and suffering.  Victims can receive compensation for the actual pain for their injuries as well as the emotional distress caused by them.
  • Loss of consortium.  Spouses of personal injury victims can receive damages for being deprived of the emotional and physical elements of a marriage.  In West Virginia, loss of consortium also includes damage to the relationship between parents and children that often result from serious physical or emotional injuries.

If you have questions about the types of compensation you may be owed, please call our office to speak with one of our experienced attorneys about your specific situation.